Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Yes, I am blogging about Cam Newton

Remember me? Yes, I know it has been ages since I have blogged. I have been on complete bedrest for a week (details to follow in another post) and you would think that would mean that I would have had plenty of time to blog, but unfortunately I have been feeling pretty crappy. Well, today David is out of town on business, Hayes is at the babysitter's and I am feeling better...so brace yourselves, my friends, for plenty of posts today, because I am in "catch up mode."

I have lots of things to catch up on such as Halloween, the fact that our baby girl officially has a name, etc. However, first things first and I need to get a few things off my chest. I am pissed.

These allegations against Cam Newton are really driving me crazy. My days at Auburn were some of the best of my life and AU truly holds a special place in my heart. Ok, lets be honest...I bleed orange and blue. And while we are being honest, I will admit that winning football games feels good. Damn good. Yet, all of these allegations against Cam Newton and all the hoopla that is going on right now, goes way beyond the hopes of a winning record in my book.

I really haven't been able to figure out why this is all bothering me so much. When I read these allegations and all the media stories, my blood starts boiling and I get straight-up livid! As much as I love the AU family and love AU football, I haven't been able to figure out why all of this is upsetting me so much....until today.

Today, I was watching the video of Gene Chizik emotionally discussing the allegations and my mind drifted off to Hayes. Suddenly, I realized that the reason I am so emotionally charged about all of these allegations, is because I am looking at them through a mother's eyes. I then realized that a couple of hours before, while I had re-watched the youtube video of Cam mentoring the young boys in Auburn, I had also been viewing that through a mother's eyes.

Cam Newton has a God-given athletic ability that any mother would be proud of. However, if I had watched the youtube video of MY son truly changing the lives of young people in the way Cam is doing, I know that at that moment I would have truly felt that I had succeeded as a mother. As parents, we do the best we can to train up our children, and then sit back and watch (and pray) that they will rightly handle the situations that come their way.

Cam Newton has been thrust into the spotlight and has faced the highest of times and the lowest of times in a month, more than most 21-year-old kids have dealt with in their entire lifetime. I mean, seriously....do you remember what you were doing at 21?? Which brings me back to the youtube video. With all of this on top of the rigorous schedule of being a student and college quarterback, Cam has devoted himself to making a difference in these childrens' lives. As a mother, the first thing I noticed was the excitement and true amazement on the childrens' faces as they looked at Cam Newton. But, what touched me more than that was the look of pure joy on Cam's face when he looked at these children. I can't think of many things that would bring me more contentment as a mother, than knowing I had succeeded in raising my child to realize that the purest of inner joy we will ever have in life, is that which we feel when we are helping others.

Of course, I think about all the negativity going on right now and think about how I would feel if Hayes had succeeded already in the many ways that Cam has, and is now facing all of these accusations. Yet, I truly believe that there is no education like adversity and no matter what happens, Cam Newton has already proven his character and strength. I know that Cam is making his mama proud and I, personally, have never had more pride in being part of the AU family. War Eagle!!

1 comment: